Catchy title, huh?
This is my first attempt at a blog, and as I'm obviously at a loss for what to write, I am clicking back and forth between here and one of my favorite websites: CNN.com.
With the Democratic National Convention going on, most of the stories on CNN's homepage deal with Hillary's speech last night or how Obama is stacking up against McCain. Because I don't always have access to major newspapers, I just CNN to fill me in on what is happening in the world.
I don't read every story, but I definitely scan all the headlines, including the ones under the "most popular stories."
Stories one through four deal with Tropical Storm Gustav, scrolls recently recovered from the Dead Sea, and so on and so forth--all having the standard "news" element to it.
And then I look a little lower and see a story about George Clooney and Brad Pitt and how they are infamous for being pranksters and joking with each other.
This leaves me to think, "Really? Really, is that news?"
If CNN is reporting it, then it has to be, right?
I guess the conclusion I am trying to reach is that celebrities, and their "glamorous" lifestyles have infiltrated one of the most respected news sources in the country. Having worked for a celebrity gossip magazine myself, I am amazed at how easily people live through celebrities, and how Paris Hilton's latest shopping spree somehow makes it into news sources.
I, like many other tabloid lovers out there, do enjoy reading about these peoples' lives; at the same time, I do realize what is important and it is sad that out of all those Democratic and Tropical Storm stories that are posted on CNN's homepage, people skip over them, opting for the Clooney/Pitt story.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
curious people want to know -- what's up with the 603?
603--it's my birthday, June 3rd! Because I never played a sport where I actually had my own number, I use 603 for virtually everything.
Post a Comment