I hope everyone caught on to the Shakespeare reference in the title...
Anyway, I was faced with an interesting journalistic dilemma earlier today (Tuesday). Around 2 p.m., Meghan called me with some "breaking news" straight from the Daily Illini. Apparently Eddie McGee--Illinois' backup quarterback behind Juice Williams--was involved in an altercation on Saturday night at the African American Homecoming dance.
Check out the story:
"Update: Illini QB McGee arrested, to appear in court on battery charge"
http://media.www.dailyillini.com/media/storage/paper736/news/2008/10/14/Sports/Update.Illini.Qb.Mcgee.Arrested.To.Appear.In.Court.On.Battery.Charge-3486210.shtml
Anyway, I had to go to football practice three hours later, and all of the reporters whispered the different pieces of information their various news publications had acquired. Then, the public relations person for the football team said Coach Zook would not be addressing the matter after practice.
Though I do not disagree with Zook (I wouldn't want to talk about some college student who was arrested for battery when I have a huge game looming a few days away), but since this is such big news, it kind of made me wonder why exactly he wouldn't address it. Typically, Zook has a no nonsense policy and is very quick to make decisions dealing with crimes. If I were an Illini football player--and I have a feeling that's one dream that will never come true--I wouldn't want to cross Zook.
At the same time, I feel as though some statement should have been released immediately. There have been several times this season when reporters have been present at practice and the PR people have told us we absolutely couldn't publish something or our press passes would be revoked.
Yes, PR people are needed, but they do sometimes make reporting more difficult.
The Eddie McGee story is a crime story, and I see no reason why we could not speak to the actual source. If you do a crime, or in this case "allegedly grab a female and knock her down," then why can't I ask someone about it?
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
McGee or not to McGee
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I think that this is a big story and it should be reported. This is newsworthy to students on campus and there should have been some kind of statement released at the least. I do believe that PR people sometimes get in the way of reporting and try to minimize damage control. Nevertheless, there should be something said from the actual source, not a PR rep.
If I were you, and I may be more obstinate, I would take Ms. PR Princess's scare tactic as a challenge. Since I have begun to expose myself to adult work environments, I often find myself surprised at just how similar professional behavior is to high school drama queening. I bet it's tough to be in your shoes. Good luck.
Post a Comment