Thursday, November 13, 2008

Thanksgiving

Because Thanksgiving is just two weeks away, I figured I should explain some of the things I am thankful for this year.

First and foremost, I am thankful for my family. I know this is a blog for an editing class, but without my family, there is absolutely no way I would be an aspiring journalist just months away from graduating from the prestigious University of Illinois.

Secondly, I am thankful for the First Amendment. That may sound a bit odd in the year 2008, but it's true--I am thankful for the freedom of speech and the freedom of the press. You don't have to ask me twice to get my opinion on an issue and I consider myself pretty lucky to receive that right.

Next, I am thankful for the women's suffrage movement in the 1920s. This was the first Presidential election in which I was able to vote. Maybe my vote did not mean much in the final tally count, but having the right to vote made me proud to be an American.

Finally, I'm thankful for the career I'm going into. Even if I become a sports reporter who doesn't exactly report breaking world news, I know my career will be beneficial in the long run. Not every profession has the ability to help and encourage people, but I am determined to do just that.

And yes... I know this was cheesy, but it's Thanksgiving, how can you not be a little cheesy?

2 comments:

@jefollis said...

And I'm grateful for students who care about free expression and good government. Who won that hometown race you wrote about in the last post? And are you grateful to have completed 13 posts on your blog? Will you keep at it or retire?

Stephanie said...

Cheesy...but true. I think all aspiring journalists are thankful for these rights we just don't always recognize it. Thanks for reminding us of the privileges we have as University students and the next generation of journalists.