Like I've mentioned in previous posts, I follow CNN.com "religiously." I am using religiously in both a true and figurative sense. I just went to the homepage and the biggest story's headline reads: Texans look to heavens as they heal from Ike.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/09/21/ike.texas.ap/index.html
In fact, the first highlighted bullet point addresses the fact that students will be soon returning to school for the first time since Hurricane Ike hit. It is kind of funny to me that not only would Heaven be in the headline, but the first point is about school.
Though I have no personal problems with this (I am a Christian Protestant), I am sure there are other devout CNN followers out there who might not believe in Heaven or God or the Bible.
I guess the point I am getting at is that no matter how many people argue with the separation of church and state, it is still actively alive and present in today's world.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I have to somewhat disagree with you on this. I agree with your main point that church and state is actively present, but I don't think the article you gave is the best example.
Heaven is used in the headline to reflect the idea in the story that people are turning to the Bible and church to deal with the crisis. Some people are actually looking to heaven down there so you can't really get around that. Maybe the copy editor could have chosen a different word, but the idea remains the same.
And the reference to schools is to show that the cities have enough power to start getting back to normal life. It gives the reader a picture of how much power the cities actually have instead of some meaningless number.
Because the reference to school happens to be the first main point, it doesn't mean the reporter is drawing a connection between church and state. Maybe that's what the reporter is going for, but I personally don't see it.
Post a Comment