Monday, September 29, 2008

Word of the Day

At the beginning of the summer, I signed up for a "word of the day" email service on dictionary.com. Like clockwork, every morning I receive my new word at 5:20 a.m. The only problem with it is that I receive my emails on my phone--so once again, like clockwork, every morning at 5:20, I wake up to a new word blaring on my phone.

Today's word, however, is unlike most of them. I typically have at least seen all of the words, but would rarely use them in my everyday vocabulary, let alone have hours of class dedicated to it.

Nevertheless, today the word is "verbiage," a noun with two definitions:
1. An overabundance of words; wordiness.
2. Manner or style of expression; diction.

It goes on to say that "Verbiage comes from French, ultimately from Latin verbum, 'word.'" So my word of the day is exactly that--word.

In all of our Journalism classes, we learn about words: how to use words, how not to use words, how to change words, how to "feel" words...the list goes on and on!

I guess even when I'm sleeping (and anxiously awaiting my new word of the day wake-up call), I can't escape Journalism!

No comments: